Healthy Mexican-Style Breakfast Scramble Recipe Ingredients
This delicious breakfast scramble recipe combines velvety folds of perfectly cooked scrambled eggs with the unmistakable delight that is Mexican street food. It’s a dish I savor in a leisurely fashion, usually at the weekend, and definitely accompanied by good coffee.
Mexican Breakfast Scramble Ingredient Variations
Vary the chili heat according to your palette
The amount of chili you add needs to suit your palette. If you are not used to chili heat then reduce the amount of jalapeno and tabasco you add. You could always add more once you have plated the breakfast scramble and tasted it.
For those awkward moments when you know you’ve overdone the chili heat but don’t want to look like a lightweight perhaps you could serve with a little extra reduced fat crème fraiche or soured cream on the side. Better still, enjoy it with an iced latte as you’re drink of choice. The dairy contained in the crème fraiche and coffee will neutralize the spicy heat from the chili.
Adding extra vegetables to your breakfast scramble
A good way of adding extra vitamins and minerals to this dish is to add more vegetables. To keep in tune with the Mexican street food theme you could add peppers or sweetcorn. Tomatoes and courgettes would also work well. Prepare and cook in the same way as I’ve done for the scallions. Cook the scallions first and then add the extra veggies to the pan and cook them down until just beginning to soften.
This recipe is fairly quick to cook. My tip is to get the spring onion and pepper chopped, and the eggs, crème fraiche and tabasco whisked in a separate jug before you start. Prepping upfront means you can concentrate on perfecting the soft folds of egg that are synonymous with just cooked breakfast scramble and avoid a rubbery dry mess on your plate.
Once you are set up with your prepared ingredients – celebrity TV chef style – you can set to work with the cooking. The only piece of cooking equipment that’s needed for this entire recipe is a heavy based skillet or frying pan (bonus points for cutting down on the dishes!).
How To Make Mexican Breakfast Scramble Recipe
I start by sautéing the veggies in a small amount of olive oil over a low heat. It’s important not to colour them too much. You just want them to be soft and for the spring onion (scallion) to be translucent. Just before they are cooked add the spices and stir well to coat the vegetables. Once they are cooked, transfer them to kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
Using the oil that is remaining in the hot pan cook the scrambled egg. Adding a scant teaspoon of butter here is an indulgence and one that adds not only flavor but also silkiness to the finished eggs. You can leave this step out if you prefer.
With the heat from the hob on the lowest setting add the egg mixture.
Allow the eggs to start setting on the underside ever so slightly. Tip the pan slightly and with a spatula, draw the egg towards the centre of the pan. A few ‘folds’ will start to take shape here. Be patient though as the egg that is still in liquid form will have trickled to the outside edge of the pan. Keep tilting the pan and drawing the egg towards the centre – working your way around the pan – every time the egg starts to set. You’ll need to work quickly but steadily as the egg will cook quite quickly.
When the egg is about 75% cooked. i.e. three quarters of the egg is set and a quarter is still runny, scatter the spiced vegetables, cheese and most of the coriander over the top of the eggs. Continue to cook for a few seconds more performing the tilting of the pan and drawing in of the eggs once or twice more. As soon as the egg is just cooked immediately transfer to warmed plates.
Sprinkle with more coriander and extra jalapenos if you wish and serve immediately.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
For more healthy and nutritious breakfast ideas head over to my blog or click the link to give my delicious Protein Bread a try. It’s gluten-free and is loaded with vegetable protein, omega 3 and good fat. It tastes great on it’s own or spread with avocado or peanut butter or as an accompaniment to boiled eggs.
Mexican Breakfast Scramble Recipe Ingredient Substitutes
If you don’t have or don’t like extra mature cheddar then you could easily substitute this for another strong-flavored cheese. Gruyere or parmesan would work well too. Alternatively, leave the cheese out if you prefer.
Spring onion (Scallion) substitute
Red or white onion would work perfectly well in this dish too. Prepare them in the same way as I’ve done for the scallions and cook gently until translucent. The trick is not to burn the onion as this leaves a bitter acrid taste that will spoil the finished dish.
Crème Fraiche substitute
If you don’t have crème fraiche, then by all means leave it out. A splash of milk will do a similar job although may not provide such a creamy finished dish. For extra decadence, you could use the same quantity of single cream. Yum!
Mexican Breakfast Scramble Recipe
- Large skillet or frying pan
For the vegetables:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onions scallions trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 red pepper (trimmed deseeded and cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
For the scrambled eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp reduced fat crème fraiche
- A few drops of tabasco sauce Adjust the amount depending on how much of a kick you prefer
- 1 tsp butter
- 6-8 red or green jalapeno pepper slices from a jar Plus extra for sprinkling at the end if desired
- 20 g extra mature cheddar grated
- 2 tsp fresh coriander chopped
- Extra jalapenos if desired
- Trim and slice the spring onions and peppers and then add them to a large skillet or pan with the olive oil. Sauté over a low to medium heat until soft and translucent
- Add the spices and stir well to coat the vegetables. Cook for 2 minutes to allow the fragrance of the spices to be released
- Once cooked transfer to kitchen paper to remove any excess oil. Reserve for later
- In a jug crack the eggs and add the crème fraiche and tabasco. Whisk well to combine
- Add the butter to the pan that you used to cook the spring onion and place over a low heat until the butter has melted
- With the heat from the hob on the lowest setting add the egg mixture
- Allow the eggs to start setting on the underside ever so slightly. Tip the pan slightly and with a spatula, draw the egg towards the centre of the pan. Keep doing this until the eggs are 75% cooked (See my tips above for how to create perfect scrambled eggs)
- Tip the spiced vegetables back into the pan and scatter over the jalapenos
- Continue to cook for a few seconds more before sprinkling over the cheese and most of the coriander
- Perform the tilting the pan and drawing in of the eggs once or twice more and then immediately transfer warmed plates
- Sprinkle with more coriander and extra jalapenos if you wish and serve immediately.